Saturday, October 19, 2013

Learning to ink

Today I spent the majority of the day practicing inking (That and fixing my scanner). I just finished reading The Art of Comic Book Inking by Gary Martin. It was extremely helpful! I wasn't realyl paying attention to line weights or even brush technique. In fact I wasn't even using a brush in most cases. Here a the three drawings I inked today, all with a sable brush. If they look familiar it is because they are old drawings. New inks though.

 I started out with Spider-man. I used my Sable #3 for the thick outlines and #1 for the thin. I was about to grab my quill pen to draw his suit webbing but I really wanted to challenge my brush skills.
 Next I inked one of my old Superman drawings. I used the same brushes but decided to experiment with some watercolors. I think that this would have been a great image to try feathering technique.


Last, I worked on Batman. I tried to focus a little more at the start so that I could make more fluid lines. The real fun started when I began to fill in the large black areas. I had the most fun with this drawing. Then my scanner started malfunctioning...


No comments:

Post a Comment